Monday, September 27, 2010

Rottweiler Scared of the Wild Boar!

The only conclusion I could make when I saw this:


Young banana tree dug out - completely uprooted!


Whole trunk crushed and mutilated!

Bite marks!



This is the culprit!!


Happier days....the way it used to be
Tissue-cultured Jelai Berangan - something like the Del Monte
variety from the Philippines
It was growing so well....sigh... this photo taken about two months
ago - so the actual size before she was ravaged
 is bigger than this - a foot or two taller


I left The Farm for a few days. After all it is off-season. I have a bit of time on my hands to run some errands and catch up with family and friends. When I got back to the farm this is what happened!

I am angry!
I am disappointed!

with these two:





I depended on them and they let me down!

I thought Rottweilers are fierce dogs. How come  she can't even chase away a wild boar - or, better still eat the damn thing up??!!

Rottweiler owners, and breeders, can you shed some light on this?

Hunters - come and shoot them (the wild boars, not the dogs). You don't have to pay me, I'll pay you. 50 ringgit per dead WB. And you can have them and eat them too. Interested? Leave your contacts on the comment form, or e-mail me.

10 comments:

Karen Anne said...

What about trying to replant it? I've had pretty sorry looking things come back with enough water and patience.

Grandpa said...

Hi Karen Anne, good suggestion - I should have tried that. I saw it a few days after it happened so the leaves had dried up. The stem was almost cut off.

Do you have a farm too? What do you plant?

Naturegirl said...

Grandpa I understand your frustration but don't be too hard on the dogs.Oh NO..shooting animals!!! I understand that these wild boars are up to mischeif when visiting your garden but I suppose when hunting for food they have no boundries...hunting to survive. Here we deal with rabbits chewing at lower stalks of young plants.No I don't eat rabbit.
Thank you for stopping by my blog!
Hopefully I'll make more time to post more often.
It is always fun visiting blogs from far away places and realizing we as gardeners have similar frustrations when tending to our gardens!
Ah come on give those dogs a nice treat! Enjoy your garden!

Karen Anne said...

No farm, I just have my own veggie garden in the yard.

Grandpa said...

Hi Naturegirl, I don't know what's gotten into me - it must be the anger, the frustration of seeing something you have taken care of being destroyed. I actually promised to 'be' with the elements and respect them when living with nature, but I guess I broke that promise in that instant.

Thanks for waking me up

Diary From Africa said...

The dogs are gorgeous ! They probably wanted to stay safe & not get injured by the boar ? He looks like a pretty ferocious fellow. Sorry about your banana plant .....

SL said...

Grandpa, install some spring traps la.. and i am more than happy to come n pick up the bounty.. hehehe

SL said...

Grandpa,
Install some spring traps.. I will be more than happy to clear out the bounty for you.. hehehe

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Wow! looks like bacon to me... I wish we had that kind of varmint... Sorry about the plants. Some dogs just don't hunt. Or they are more interested in protecting YOU than the property.
:-)

Grandpa said...

FoodFunFarmlife, yes, they are adorable, aren't they? They do chase after anything that moves, so you may be right, this one's ferocious.

Sorry, SL, change of heart - see my latest post. My losses are miniscule compared to what some others had gone through. Besides things happen for a reason, I guess

OFG I think you are right, they do look after me well, always by my side whenever I walk or work around the farm